Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Team USA Takes A Loss Weeks Before 2010 Olympics


According to the New Jersey Devils official website, defenseman Paul Martin has withdrawn for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

He was chosen by the USA team and was expected to be an integral cog to the American machine on their quest for gold.  But with suffering from a slow healing broken arm for a while now - Martin was injured on Oct. 24 when they were playing the Penguins and he was hit by Bill Guerin's shot - he's just not going to be ready in time for the Olympics. He chose to step aside rather than possibly hinder the team in any way. Very commendable.

He had this to say yesterday, “After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my name from participation with Team USA at the upcoming Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. While the decision was an extremely difficult one, I feel it is in my long-term best interest to not rush any return to the ice.

“Team USA was informed of my decision earlier today. I look forward to re-joining my New Jersey Devil teammates in the near future, and would also like to wish my fellow Devils’ Olympians and the rest of Team USA good luck in their pursuit of the gold medal.”

I suppose now Team USA has a decision to make this week. Who replaces Paul Martin? Look for a Rob Scuderi or a Ryan Whitney to replace him. Gleason or Hainsey are also other options.

**EDIT (2/4/10) 1:58pm MST** Ryan Whitney and Tim Gleason have been added to Team USA as the replacements for the two (Mike Komisarek and Paul Martin) injured players.

No comments:

Post a Comment